The surname of COMEAU has a long and distinctive history dating back to France. The family genealogy of the Como’s of Ogdensburg dates to Nelson Como, who emigrated to the U.S. from the Montreal area, and whose
baptismal record at Notre Dame Church in Ogdensburg gives his name as Narcisse Comeau. We have yet to make the direct connection to the Comeau line.
Guy de Comeau, Ecuyer, Lord de Creancey, was born 1450 in Burgandy, France, and founded a chapel in the Parish church of Pouilly-en-Auxois in 1495. This appears from the title of Foundaier and from the “Letters
Patent” of King Charles VIII. In these papers, he is called "the Nobleman, Guy de Comeau." No records are found in regards to who his wife was.
One son, who inherited the titles, Claude de Comeau II, Ecuyer, Lord de Creancey, was born in France and was married in 1527 to Jeanne de Gissey. Three children are on record from this
marriage: Jean de Comeau II, Ecuyer, son of Claude and Jeanne, married in 1550 to Catherine Collard, also of France. Two children from this marriage have been recorded: Jean de Comeau IV, Ecuyer, Lord de Chassenay, son of Jean II and Catherine, married in 1592 to Marguerite Ocquidem, daughter of Benigne Ocquidem and mother unknown. Seven children are recorded of this union. Pierre de Comeau II, son of Jean IV and Marguerite, was born around 1606 in France Pierre married in 1649 Rose Bayol, the daughter of Nicolas Bayol and mother unknown. Nine children are on record. Pierre II was the founder of the American line of Comeaus. He arrived in Acadia in 1632 with the expedition of de Razilly. He helped erect the fort at LaHarve River. At de Razilly's death in 1635, Pierre went with the new Governor, d'Aulnay, to rebuild the fort at Port Royal, the first built in Acadia.